UAW/FORD Ford Fanatic Forums
March 29, 2024, 09:58:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to our Unofficial UAW/Ford social networking website!

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Expedition and $6.00 Gas

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Expedition and $6.00 Gas  (Read 525 times)
MTPshoprat
Soap Box Racer

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2008, 09:58:17 am »

Well here in Michigan there talking six dollar gas on the news. This should pretty much put an end to the MTP. I've got 14 years here and, It's been a good run. Hopefully a buyout that would work for me comes this time. They keep talking about a new product at the plant but, nothing ever comes this way..Trying to hang in there a few more years.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Hendew15 (RET)
UAW Member
Soap Box Racer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 10:10:07 am »

I would have loved to see that new/revised car the fiesta come there and help some of our UAW brothers and sisters out.
Report Spam   Logged

Monroe Stamping Local 723
Atlanta Assembly Local 882
Denver HVC Local 186

(RETIRED)
ScarletK.
UAW Member
Soap Box Racer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 05:36:48 pm »

Here is an excellent article about the economics of the current "gas crisis":

http://money.cnn.com/2008/06/06/news/economy/tully_oil_bust.fortune/index.htm?cnn=yes

The company has been producing with this in mind for the last year. I think what they are seeing now is that the sales of these fuel efficient cars have reached a tipping point, in which even when the inevitable drop in fuel prices occurs, people will not move back into SUV's.

What I would like to see the press do is focus a few stories on the tremendous disadvantage these fuel efficient cars are in crashes with SUV's. I'm shopping for a car right now. I have since 93 always had an explorer. I costed out my fuel consumption and figured that the difference between driving a new explorer and a new fusion is( at 4 bucks a gallon and 12k miles a year) about $800 dollars per year. Now, if I believe the article I just posted, fuel prices will be coming down precipitously... shouldn't I take advantage of the increasing safety discrepancy on the road now? I mean isn't my family's safety worth an extra $65 bucks a month? Come on Ford... Sell the safety!...leak a few stories about Ford Explorers taking out whole families driving in their fuel efficient Prius. That will sell those trucks and you won't lose the market when the fuel prices inevitably plunge. Nothing will sell these SUV's faster than a few stories about decapitated babies.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 05:55:36 pm by ScarletK. » Report Spam   Logged

Res nolunt diu male administrari.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: