UAW/FORD Ford Fanatic Forums
March 28, 2024, 08:06:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to our Unofficial UAW/Ford social networking website!

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Ford Fusion Hybrid

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ford Fusion Hybrid  (Read 619 times)
Spring
UAW Member
Street Racer

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2009, 10:40:17 pm »

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/853/ford-fusion-hybrid-tops-camry-prius-in-comparisons

FINALLY!  Some good news!  Now let's spread the word and replicate this throughout the company! 

Ford Fusion Hybrid

If you're in the market for an ultra fuel-efficient hybrid that makes a convincing family sedan, your best choice has always been a Toyota -- until now. Toyota's Camry Hybrid and Prius have been the only realistic alternatives for many. Most American-built hybrids simply haven't matched their fuel economy, and the Nissan Altima Hybrid remains rare and hard to find.

A new entrant in the contest, however, may have knocked the Toyotas from their lofty perch.

The automotive press has begun testing the all-new 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid in recent weeks. Two prominent publications have now published comparisons pitting the Fusion Hybrid against its Toyota competition, and the Ford has won both.

More from U.S. News & World Report

» Best Car Deals for February

» Ford Fusion Hybrid: Latest Photos and Info

USA Today writes: "OK, let's just get it out there: The 2010 Ford Fusion hybrid is the best gasoline-electric hybrid yet. What makes it best is a top-drawer blend of an already very good midsize sedan with the industry's smoothest, best-integrated gas-electric power system. It's so well-done that you have to look to the $107,000 Lexus LS 600h hybrid to come close."

"The Toyota Prius crowd will protest," they note, but USA Today says Ford's car simply drives better. "A car is, after all, a driving machine. Brownie points for saving somewhat more fuel or offering a cargo-friendly hatchback, but driving feel is most important. And there, Fusion is without equal among hybrids."

Car and Driver set the Fusion against the Camry Hybrid, Chevy Malibu Hybrid and Altima Hybrid, but the result was the same. "Ford has pulled off a game changer with this 2010 model, creating a high-mpg family hauler that's fun to drive," they write. "Nothing about the leather-lined test car, optioned up from its $27,995 base price to $32,555, seemed economy minded except for the mileage readings. On that score, the Fusion topped the others, turning in a 34-mpg score card for the overall 300-mile test run."

In our time behind the wheel of the Fusion Hybrid, we quickly came to a similar verdict. The Fusion Hybrid corners with as much agility as its conventionally-powered cousin - one of the best-handling cars in the midsize class. With standard SYNC technology, it allows the driver to control Bluetooth-enabled phones and music players through the car's speakers with voice commands. And its standard leather and high-quality stereo give it an upscale feel for an affordable price. Ford has a hit on its hands.

We had one minor complaint. Ford's SmartGuage instrument cluster does a great job coaching the driver to drive more efficiently with information-rich displays, but the cutesy display that grows leaves as the driver reaches peak efficiency is distracting and can draw your eyes from the road. Still, following the device's prompts, we hit 37.7 mpg in city driving on the first try.

The Fusion Hybrid qualifies for a federal tax credit of $3,400 until the end of March, but few of the cars will reach dealerships by then - if you're in the market, you might want to consider ordering yours before the credit disappears.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 10:53:00 pm by Furious1Auto » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

dark270
UAW Moderator
Full Time Driver

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 11:06:35 pm »

i refuse to buy a foreign car.

fusion is made in mexico.
Report Spam   Logged

It's not who I am underneath, it's what I do that defines me

Furious1Auto
Administrator
Circuit Racer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 11:32:32 pm »

That's where they get us! Ford refuses to build their mid-sized sedan line-up in the U.S but the profits off said cars do count towards your profit sharing.  At the moment we are not profitable, but what do you do when you work for Ford and need to own a mid-sized sedan?  The Taurus is now a full size, but the apealing model won't be available till mid summer for the 2010 model! 
Report Spam   Logged

UAW Local 2000

Ohio Assembly Plant

Avon Lake, OH
Spring
UAW Member
Street Racer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 11:50:17 pm »

You guys are missing my point.  We've been behind the 8 ball in public opinion as to the quality of our products and hopefully, news such as this will be a start in changing the public's perception of our products. 
Report Spam   Logged
Furious1Auto
Administrator
Circuit Racer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 01:21:18 am »

The preliminaries are good and your point is well taken, we will have to wait to see how it is received by it's owners though. Like the Prius it could  be over blow hype, the Prius was allowed to report 60 MPG for in 06' VIA the EPA, when it really was only getting 45 MPG as was reported by it's owners. Either way a mid-sized sedan is more appealing than a sub-compact tht gets only 8 MPG less. The Fusions chassis is already proven, and is the same as the the current model underpinnings, but it's success lies in the impression it leaves on it's owners.

As for the tax credit, who cares, the only ones that buy Hybrids are self indulgent wheiny's that think there saving the planet. In short because of the additional cost in MSRP over the gas variant, hybrid owners save nothing. They have more money then sense, and focus on the environmental aspects of being a Hybrid owner.

Either way, the "Going Green" mantra has seeped into our culture, and Ford taking these steps will defiantly improve the perception of our brand overall. I can't wait to see the test results, GM also is doing well by marketing a full-sized luxury SUV. They are all part of the same self indulgent market!

20 MPG is still sh-tty, but it is definitely an improvement over the 16 MPG gas model, they should do well if they don't over price the damn truck! 

« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 07:55:01 pm by Furious1Auto » Report Spam   Logged

UAW Local 2000

Ohio Assembly Plant

Avon Lake, OH
dark270
UAW Moderator
Full Time Driver

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 02:07:11 pm »

That's where they get us! Ford refuses to build their mid-sized sedan line-up in the U.S but the profits off said cars do count towards your profit sharing.  At the moment we are not profitable, but what do you do when you work for Ford and need to own a mid-sized sedan?  The Taurus is now a full size, but the apealing model won't be available till mid summer for the 2010 model! 

i know, but i still think we should build it here....

period...

dont think that the moment ford gets profitable they will change the formula for profit sharing, trust me

Report Spam   Logged

dark270
UAW Moderator
Full Time Driver

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 02:08:12 pm »

You guys are missing my point.  We've been behind the 8 ball in public opinion as to the quality of our products and hopefully, news such as this will be a start in changing the public's perception of our products. 

no i saw your point, and i agree that ford quality is great, maybe even better then toyoda, however, i still think we should build it here...
Report Spam   Logged

Spring
UAW Member
Street Racer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 02:41:54 pm »

Oh, I totally agree with you!  The way I look at it, if one thing's on the table, everything's on the table so if the company is looking for concessions, we should be looking at some things as well.
Report Spam   Logged
dark270
UAW Moderator
Full Time Driver

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 07:41:57 pm »

oh yES, at least give us products for the future, even if we have to give up some things..i mean we should get the fusion back...or something else .....

Report Spam   Logged

Furious1Auto
Administrator
Circuit Racer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 08:00:19 pm »

Damn right, if they can negotiate cuts, there needs to be firm commitments unlike their last product commitment language!
Report Spam   Logged

UAW Local 2000

Ohio Assembly Plant

Avon Lake, OH
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: