UAW/FORD Ford Fanatic Forums
March 28, 2024, 11:22:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to our Unofficial UAW/Ford social networking website!

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Opening headers?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Opening headers?  (Read 503 times)
BigChris300
Soap Box Racer

It's good for me and her

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2009, 12:30:16 pm »

Got a question about my truck. I'm driving a 1998 F150 4.2 and everything is stock, it pretty much has no sound to it and I was thinking about opening the headers on it for a little more sound to it. Now, if I open the headers will that cause any damage to my truck? I heard from a friend that if it's not a older model truck that it will damage the engine. Will it? In case you need to know it only has 48,882 miles on it. It's been well taken care of by my grandmother and is now mine. So any thoughts about opening the headers?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Furious1Auto
Administrator
Circuit Racer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 01:27:12 pm »

Got a question about my truck. I'm driving a 1998 F150 4.2 and everything is stock, it pretty much has no sound to it and I was thinking about opening the headers on it for a little more sound to it. Now, if I open the headers will that cause any damage to my truck? I heard from a friend that if it's not a older model truck that it will damage the engine. Will it? In case you need to know it only has 48,882 miles on it. It's been well taken care of by my grandmother and is now mine. So any thoughts about opening the headers?

Some high compression engines require back pressure through the exhaust for them to operate properly. That is not the case for your vehicle, it has a lower compression ratio and the ECM will automatically adjust to compensate for the lack of back pressure.  However you must keep the O2 sensors in the system, or your trucks EFI will not adjust automatically.  This is a great way to add power, but many counties emissions standards prevent people from making this mod. 

I would suggest a  good aftermarket exhaust that adds a throaty rumble while maintaining emission compliance! You first need to know whether or not you want single or dual exhaust.  Your truck came with single, but it can be upfit to a dual if you want to except the expense.  I  would suggest just swapping your existing system with a CAT back from FlowMaster, it will give you the rumble you want while saving you a few bucks! 

Also you could add a glass pack, CherryBomb exhausts now offer emission compliant glass packs with their signature sound!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDXJ8jApxSA&feature=related

http://www.cherrybomb.com/
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 01:34:14 pm by Furious1Auto » Report Spam   Logged

UAW Local 2000

Ohio Assembly Plant

Avon Lake, OH
BigChris300
Soap Box Racer

It's good for me and her

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 10:00:00 pm »

Thanks man, I really appreciate it. I have looked at all kinds of exhaust systems for my particular kind of truck and none of them sounded just like what I wanted until I seen that first youtube video on your post. I never would have thought a catback would have made that much of a difference. Course I'm still learning about trucks and don't fully understand everything about them. Most people would pin me for being a full blown redneck (cause I'm from Mississippi) and want to have a loud truck haha. Course I suppose it's just a guy thing to want a loud truck lol. Thanks again for all the help and I hope to learn a little more with my time on this site, it seems like everyone here knows what they are talking about Smiley.
Report Spam   Logged

Furious1Auto
Administrator
Circuit Racer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 12:42:52 am »

Thanks man, I really appreciate it. I have looked at all kinds of exhaust systems for my particular kind of truck and none of them sounded just like what I wanted until I seen that first youtube video on your post. I never would have thought a catback would have made that much of a difference. Course I'm still learning about trucks and don't fully understand everything about them. Most people would pin me for being a full blown redneck (cause I'm from Mississippi) and want to have a loud truck haha. Course I suppose it's just a guy thing to want a loud truck lol. Thanks again for all the help and I hope to learn a little more with my time on this site, it seems like everyone here knows what they are talking about Smiley.
They better, most of our members are Ford workers!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

UAW Local 2000

Ohio Assembly Plant

Avon Lake, OH
BigChris300
Soap Box Racer

It's good for me and her

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 03:16:58 am »

Got another question. My grandpa used to cut the muffler off the truck just past the cat or right at the cat (i cant remember which) when he got a new truck. Now if I do this will it damage the truck or will it mess my entire exhaust system up? (also will it give it more of a straight pipe sound?)

If you are going to run open headers you had better check your local emission laws.  No it will not damage you motor, and you will experience mild horse power gains in doing so.  But if you have E-check in your county then you will not be able to get your truck plated until you reinstall the back half of your exhaust. Also it you simply cut it off the carbon from your exhaust will coat the underside of your truck. 

If emissions testing is not an issue for you and you still want to perform the mod, I would suggest you have a local muffler shop that builds custom pipes route your exhaust out from under your vehicle.

You could also install custom side pipes if you want to draw some attention!

Stack exhaust systems also look cool, but you sacrifice some of you turck bed in installing them though!

« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 05:35:28 am by Furious1Auto » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: