UAW/FORD Ford Fanatic Forums
March 28, 2024, 07:46:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to our Unofficial UAW/Ford social networking website!

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Home defense

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Home defense  (Read 1101 times)
Varmint
UAW Member
Full Time Driver

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2009, 03:13:45 pm »

Given the direction that the world is going in, what would you all recommend as a cost-effective minimum for basic home defense?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Hobbitt
UAW Member
Drivers License

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 02:15:39 am »

As in weaponry ?? Tactics? Equipment? Pets? Kind of a broad question Sarge.. Alot depends on location also. I live pretty much in the country, actually a very small town, but I live on the edge of it. I have a very efficient watch dog, that will let me know if someone is around the house. If I am not home he knows he is on duty, and won't let very many pople even approach. As far as home protection, I have a Colt 1991 .45 Commander that is always loaded, and ready to use by the bed. I also have a Mossberg Defender 12 ga. loaded with 00 buck/slug/00/slug/00 (the slugs help me see thru the walls if I need too lol) and as a kicker I have a few Colt AR-15A2's to plink with .. GOD bless Sam Colt. God made man, Sam made us all equals!!   lol   (the Colt 1991 was UAW built too)
Report Spam   Logged

I am lost, if you find me please return me to myself, or to one of my buddies. Thank you !
Varmint
UAW Member
Full Time Driver

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 07:16:21 am »

As in weaponry ?? Tactics? Equipment? Pets? Kind of a broad question Sarge.. Alot depends on location also. I live pretty much in the country, actually a very small town, but I live on the edge of it. I have a very efficient watch dog, that will let me know if someone is around the house. If I am not home he knows he is on duty, and won't let very many pople even approach. As far as home protection, I have a Colt 1991 .45 Commander that is always loaded, and ready to use by the bed. I also have a Mossberg Defender 12 ga. loaded with 00 buck/slug/00/slug/00 (the slugs help me see thru the walls if I need too lol) and as a kicker I have a few Colt AR-15A2's to plink with .. GOD bless Sam Colt. God made man, Sam made us all equals!!   lol   (the Colt 1991 was UAW built too)

My apologies, I meant as in weaponry. I've already considered some of the other things. I'm not looking to defend in a doomsday situation (I'm screwed if it comes down to that as my picture window is not bullet proof and my neighbors have the high ground anyway) but rather just for something in case of intrusion.

I have previously kept around a S&W Model 65 .357 revolver which I was fond of but currently do not have anything beyond my dog and a bat. I can count on my dog alerting me to the presence of anyone in the house but the bats range is a bit limited and I'm not so young anymore. There is a show this weekend and I was looking at picking something new up. So basically my question is what should I be looking for and what can I be expecting to spend?

I have always preferred the simplicity of design and reliability of a revolver but I am also well aware that every shot has to count with one.
Report Spam   Logged
Fast1
UAW Member CM
Full Time Driver

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 08:41:34 am »

I also have a Mossberg Defender 12 ga. loaded with 00 buck/slug/00/slug/00 (the slugs help me see thru the walls if I need too lol)

Love that Mossberg Defender, I've got one of those also.
It will get any body's attention short range.
Report Spam   Logged

Ford Wayne ISA  Local 900

"Life is like a jar of jalapeņo peppers.
what you do today may burn your ass tomorrow"
jm2607
UAW Member
Soap Box Racer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 02:18:54 pm »

Anything belt fed. lol How about a S&W model 686 combat magnum. You can pick a used one up for about $300 or a new one for 4-$500.00. I keep mine loaded with aluminum hollow points + P rounds. Won't go thru walls, but it'll do the job.
Report Spam   Logged

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience!
Hobbitt
UAW Member
Drivers License

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 02:36:03 pm »

Anything belt fed. lol How about a S&W model 686 combat magnum. You can pick a used one up for about $300 or a new one for 4-$500.00. I keep mine loaded with aluminum hollow points + P rounds. Won't go thru walls, but it'll do the job.
  Yeah put one of these at all choke points and at every corner of the house, you should be OK.  Cheesy     
Report Spam   Logged

I am lost, if you find me please return me to myself, or to one of my buddies. Thank you !
jm2607
UAW Member
Soap Box Racer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 02:51:06 pm »

Yep, that'll work! Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience!
Varmint
UAW Member
Full Time Driver

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 11:02:05 am »

Yep, that'll work! Grin

LMAO, I'll also keep that one in mind if i want a new doorway into the garage.
Report Spam   Logged
Varmint
UAW Member
Full Time Driver

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 11:03:40 am »

Appreciate it, this is the exact sort of info I was looking for. I'd no idea what the going rate was for anything.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: